Batik on Cotton
Every so often, my friend and fellow textile artist Marcia gives me things to experiment with. Recently, the goody bag contained hand-loomed cotton scarves. I thought it’d be a great challenge for me to work outside the parallelogram and try using some bold shapes and bright colors on cotton.
I used a tjanting tool to lay down wax in the areas I planned to leave the cream color of the cotton, and used a wide brush to paint on Pro-Chem series H dyes that I mixed out of red and fuschia. I could see that the color was creeping under the wax, so I flipped the piece over and waxed both sides of the fabric for my next color. I used a foam brush to paint wax in simple fan shapes over the bright reds and oranges, as shown at right. Once that had dried, I was hesitant to put down the next color — a dark cherry red that was nearly black. As you can see below, it looked extremely dark next to the warmer colors.
It took about ten rinses for me to get the excess dye out of the fabric, but when I did get the piece to rinse clear, I was pretty pleased with it.
The two pictures showing the piece in progress were shot with a flash in my studio and, as a result, are much oranger than the true color. The final photo on the right is closer to the actual result.
I’ve listed it in my Etsy shop if you’d like to see further details.