A Happy End to the Sad Experiment
When we last saw our heroine’s rayon/silk fringed scarf on June __ (below), it was a sorry piece with traces of faces and color memories. I had pretreated the piece in a wash of soda ash, thinking I could paint it and iron it to set the color instead of steaming it to make it colorfast. It did not work out that way, and all my lovely color went down the drain. I’ve learned that the soda ash prewash doesn’t work the same on rayon, and this scarf’s fiber content is 83% rayon, 17% silk.
I started over on the same piece with similar colors, using the same fiber reactive dyes I used in the original version. I used black paint instead of fiber reactive dye for the face details. It’s still not exactly as I had envisioned it, but I feel it’s successful nonetheless.
It is listed at my Etsy shop, AltheaP, as 13297461. Stop by the shop if you’d like to see all views of this piece and all my other work.
(I’m fairly certain that the face on the lower right is Brett from VanFleetStreet Designs.)
Entry filed under: All Posts.